Chip and I were at the doctor's office at 10 am. Around 10:30, we finally got called back to the nurse's station. As I was sitting there, having my blood pressure taken and answering pertinent questions such as the first day of my last period, the nurse pulled out some sheets of paper and set them in front of me along with a pen. She asked me to sign if I was willing to accept blood transfusions if necessary during labor. Well, this was completely unexpected. Blood transfusions?!?! This labor thing was going to be even worse than expected!
I must have looked like a deer in headlights, because the nurse kind of giggled and then explained to me that it is not usually needed, but they wanted to document my wishes. I said, "You're the nurse. What would you advise?" She said she would sign the form. So, I did without really reading it (I could have been signing my child away!!!) --very unlike me, but I just felt so flustered. Then two more forms. One was the same, but specifically for c-section deliveries. The last form was for CIRCUMCISIONS! Can you believe it? That was the LAST thing on my mind. Wow. These doctors sure do move fast.
I didn't know whether we would circumcise our son (if it's a boy)! There were so many things Chip and I hadn't thought or talked about! I turned to Chip and asked him what I should do. Once he looked up from his text messaging, he said "Huh?" (or something like that). So I explained to him that we needed to decide whether we would circumcize our child. He told the nurse, "Yes, definitely. Unless it's a girl!" So, I signed the paper.
After I peed in a cup (fun!), we were escorted to the examination room. Once the doctor came in, I had my full annual exam (with Chip sitting in a chair, looking down at his text messaging the whole time -- maybe he was a tad bit uncomfortable?). Then, I had an ultrasound. This time you could hear the heartbeat! It was so neat! Chip and I were both grinning. Of course, you couldn't see much on the screen, but there was definitely a peanut this time (just one peanut -- a singleton!). The doctor printed off several pictures for us, but they all kinda look the same.
She said that everything looked good, just what she would have expected at that point in the pregnancy. After going over family history and some "directions" for pregnancy (don't eat this, keep exercising, etc.), we were done. Then she dropped the bomb. I needed to have blood taken again. I was not thrilled. I explained to her that I had already had blood taken three times and couldn't they use one of those tests? She said no, that they would be looking for a lot more information this time around. (Which made me wonder why they couldn't have tested for those things before! It would have been a lot more efficient.)
So, after setting our next appointment (October 13th), I headed to the lab. Although I did not want to have blood taken again, I was feeling confident. Chip needed to make some work calls, so he waited outside for me. I went to the lab, and had blood taken. I make it sound so simple! It only took two people and four tries -- definitely one of the worst experiences yet. Afterwards, I was in tears. Poor Chip had to calm me down and take me to Sonic for lunch. After a chicken wrap and some tots, I was much calmer.
Overall, the appointment went well, although it was definitely overwhelming and perhaps a little upsetting at the end! As my cousin, Andrea, would say, I am feeling like a human pin cushion! But I think if I can make it through this pregnancy okay, the next one will be a breeze (Chip just went pale)! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment