Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Weekend with Grandma

This past weekend, Grandma (Danelle) was in town to help me, Chip , and baby make some progress. And thank goodness she showed up. We definitely had a very productive weekend. After attending the sonogram and OB appointments on Friday afternoon, we all went looking at cribs at a couple of baby furniture stores. By the end of our browsing, we had narrowed it down to two cribs (I think we've made a final decision at this point). I hope to order one by the weekend! Item one, check.

On Saturday, Grandma, baby and I went car shopping. This has been a real struggle for me (Chip and I have been looking at vehicles since December). There is just not one vehicle that I am in L-O-V-E with. So, we went to seven different dealerships. I test drove SUVs that I thought looked promising, and Danelle sat in the backseat each time to check out the legroom, etc. We had two pretty bad experiences during the day. The worst was the Toyota on 114 near Main Street. As soon as we drove up, we were attacked by three salesmen, who kept trying to ask us questions and pull us in different directions the ENTIRE time we were there. It was truly the worst car buying experience I have ever had. I won't go into all the details, but we hightailed it out of there as soon as we saw the SUVs/crossovers that I was interested in. I did not feel compelled to test-drive anything. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing a Toyota.

Our second bad experience was at the Nissan dealership on the other side of the highway (near 114 and Hwy. 26). That one wasn't as bad; our visit was short and sweet. Basically the salesman would not unlock a single car in order for us to check out the insides without me providing a copy of my driver's license. I told the salesman I would be happy to provide my license if I decided I wanted to test drive a vehicle, but he told me it was their policy and I was welcome to look through the windows to see the inside of the cars. I told him that was okay, but I would just go to the Chevrolet dealership next door. His reply was, "okay, bye". Again, I will not be buying a Nissan.

Luckily, the other dealerships were great. They happily opened cars for us to view, and when I was interested in test driving, only half of them even asked for a copy of my license. For the most part, it was smooth sailing. By the end of the night and much discussion with Chip and Danelle, I narrowed down the choices to four. Then three. Then two. So close! However, in the past couple days I have decided to look at yet another vehicle, so we may be back at three by week end. I still feel good about the choices I eliminated, so I feel like we're making progress. Item two, partial check.

On Sunday, Danelle and I did some research on-line and over the phone with Chip's sister, Amy, and my cousin, Andrea (thanks for the advice, girls!). Then, off we went to Babies 'R Us to work on baby's registry. We added several items. Item three, check.

All in all, it was a successful weekend. And Grandma got to feel baby moving around a few times! I really appreciated the help and even more importantly, a motivator to get things done. Thanks for your help, Grandma!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma (oh my) was so-o-o-o happy to be a part of this past weekend. The sonogram experience was amazing and a wonderful start. After that, as you can tell, Stef and I were on task. And when you put Danelle and Stef on task, get out of the way. Tasks will get knocked out ... one way or another. We had very productive and fun days. As I told one of the car salemen, we'll have to go home, sit on the back porch, and I'll drink beer while Stefany thinks about her choices. And even though Sallie didn't get to go shopping with us, we made a trip to the park for a round of frisbee - with gusting winds that added to Sallie's catching challenges. Throw in a few baby girl moving moments and you've added the cherry on top to a fabulous weekend. Lots of love and hugs, Grandma